Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Stephen King's "On Writing"

I enjoyed reading Stephen King's "On Writing" because I learned a lot about the different techniques to writing a good novel and/or story. I found it interesting and helpful how King used many metaphors to explain these techniques, such as his idea of the "Tool Box." The "Tool Box" was the most helpful piece of advice King gave throughout the book. He explained it as a box filled with logic to help keep the tools of writing simple.

My favorite quote from King is "In truth, I've found that any day's routine interruptions and distractions don't much hurt a work in progress and may actually help it in some ways. It is, after all, the dab of grit that seeps into an oyster's shell that makes the pearl, not pearl-making seminars with other oysters." I found this interesting and helpful because i struggle to write and do homework in general when there is a lot of noise. But i took his advice into consideration and have been doing homework where there are interruptions and distractions. I came to the conclusion that it does help me brainstorm more but it takes me a little bit longer to complete. I guess that's where the saying "quality not quantity" comes into play.

No comments:

Post a Comment