Friday, January 22, 2010

"On Writing"

Stephen King: "In truth, I've found that any day's routine interruptions and distractions don't much hurt a work in progress and may actually help it in some ways. It is, after all, the dab of grit that seeps into an oyster's shell that makes the pearl, not pearl-making seminars with other oysters."

I chose this quote because not only can i relate to it, but i found it a great piece of advice. When it comes to writing, or homework in general, I have to isolate myself in the library or somewhere quiet because my mind tends to wonder when there are distractions. But Kings advice, or more so outlook, that interuptions and distractions can actually be helpful and be a building tool to a great story, has changed my attitude. This inspired me to try writing or studying in a more public place, such as a coffee shop. This relates to feature writing because having distractions and interuptions can add "fluff" to your piece of work. If you're out in public and you over hear a statement that grabs your attention, it could open a door and lead you down a road with more/new options.

No comments:

Post a Comment