Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The Bad: Amy Winehouse "Back to Black"

I'm pretty sure Amy Winehouse created this album while still being drunk in rehab. Back to Black is Amy's second studio album released in 2006. I'm not sure how, but Amy won 5 awards at the 50th Annual Grammy Awards ceremony. Tying for the most ever one in a single award ceremony by a female artist. Don't get me wrong, her voice is incredible. But i'm struggling to understand how people can still listen to her music after seeing her perform. The artist as a whole is what makes music. Not just their voice. Being able to carry yourself and perform is what makes an artist. Something Amy lacks.

46664 Concert: In Celebration Of Nelson Mandela's Life - Performance

In Amy Winehouse's new single "You know I'm no good," she states "I told you I was trouble." Fair enough. If people can look past her lack of public morality, then so be it. But I personally think it's disgusting and makes me not want to listen to her music. Her never should have made it hit single "Rehab" was unfortunately a success. The song began, "they tried to make me go to rehab but i said no, no, no." The song was funky and catchy. That's it. Because the song has a jazz feeling to it, Amy is considered a "soul singer." I beg to differ. The only thing i see remotely related to "soul singing" is her voice being vocally explosive.

I give Amy Winehouse "Back to Black" a 4 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment